May 27, 2024

Three, Including Mother and Child, Electrocuted at Ogun Market

 

By: Emmanuel Ibitoye

 

Tragedy struck at Mowe Market in Obafemi-Owode Local Government Area of Ogun State as three individuals, including a mother and child, were electrocuted. The incident occurred on Monday following the restoration of power after a Sunday downpour.

 

Ambassador Adesina Ogunsola, the Chairman of the Local Government, visited the market on Wednesday and issued a seven-day notice to traders with shops and stalls located under the high-tension power line to vacate, aiming to prevent a recurrence of the tragic incident.

 

According to an eyewitness, the electric shock originated from a step-down transformer suspended on an electrical pole next to the shop where the incident occurred. The victims, a woman, and her son, were burnt beyond recognition.

 

Segun Soneye, the Director of Information at the Obafemi Owode Local Government, confirmed the incident, attributing it to the erection of shops made of iron under the power line by traders. Soneye noted that the LG boss had visited the affected shop owners to commiserate with them and issued the evacuation ultimatum.

 

During his visit to the market, Ogunsola expressed condolences to the families of the victims and criticized the nonchalant attitude of the traders. He emphasized the need for compliance with safety rules and ordered the removal of shops extended beyond permissible limits, especially those under high-tension cables.

 

Police spokesman Omolola Odutola confirmed the incident but stated that only the mother, Ujuwa Okechukwu, died from the electrocution.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *